Saturday, June 30, 2012

Just another haiku on "Summer Solstice"

Also shared on: Poets United's Poetry Pantry (#105)


Poets United's Poetry Pantry

Today was a nice day and I enjoyed it very much. I read some of my haiku and haiku from my fellow haiku poets. I also read a few haiku written by Basho (1644-1694). One of those haiku was the following:

departing spring
along with the people of Omi
missing it


It's about the "Summer Solstice" seen from the perspective of missing it ... Basho was on his way and maybe fell asleep and misses the Solstice of Summer. This haiku inspired me to write another one on "Summer Solstice".

at the seashore
wind of summer through my hair
the shortest night


In this haiku (similar to the one of Basho I think) it's not the longest day that's in my mind, but the shortest night ... the night which Basho missed I think. A night so short that you don't have to sleep at all (smiles).

Chinese Lanterns to Light the shortest night

This picture shows a Chinese Lantern ... it's made in Poznan (Poland) on the "Summer Solstice" or Kupala Night. Thousands of these Chinese lantern were used to set light in the shortest night.

Nice ... such festivals we don't have here, but ... we have Sunsation (*) a great festival full of music, dance, poetry and more. It's a great party and it culminates on the moment when the Summer Solstice happens.

(*) this site is in Dutch sorry

7 comments:

Jyoti Mishra said...

natural phenomenons are so beautiful !!!

Maude Lynn said...

Your haiku is lovely. I like the perspective.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Brave, to post a haiku of your own alongside one of Basho's — and in this case absolutely warranted. Yours is beautiful, and your story around the two is a very nice read. Delighted to see this!

Gemma Wiseman said...

Love the image of the winds of summer in your hair! A lovely, thoughtful post!

irene said...

i agree with rosemary~~ i enjoyed reading both the basho haiku and yours. i am new to haiku . in the past i have shared senryu on haiku my heart but i so enjoy reading poems based in nature.

Janice said...

Wonderful post. Love your haiku.

Unknown said...

A soft haiku in words and meaning in your haiku, very nice, and great intro.